Course code: AVI50519 (supersedes AVI50415 from first intake in 2020). Approved course for overseas students. CRICOS provider 03593A.
This information applies to overseas / international students who wish to undertake this course in Australia on a Student Visa (information for domestic students is here)
The Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) is a specialised course for commercial pilots who wish to take their career to the next level. The learning and recognition attained through the course provides the technical and non technical skills to fly a multi engine aircraft solely by reference to instruments in a variety of weather conditions.
The course covers all of the necessary skills, knowledge and experience for the attainment of an Instrument Rating and a Multi Engine Aeroplane Class Rating (MEACR) . It provides learning in human factors, basic engineering to be able to operate aircraft systems, planning and conducting an IFR flight and performing instrument departures and arrivals.
The Instrument Rating and a Multi-Engine Aircraft Class Rating will provide opportunities to gain employment with companies conducting a range of operations including charter, airline operations, flight instruction, aero medical, military, search and rescue2.
The Par-Avion difference for your learning and career
Gaining your qualifications with us in Australia has many advantages. We pride ourselves on producing pilots who are highly skilled, confident, safe and job-ready. We have a strong reputation in the industry with high quality flight instruction in an authentic commercial aviation organisation. We operate to high standards with well-equipped commercial aircraft. Read more about how the Par Avion difference can make a real difference to your training and career, and the many advantages of undertaking flying training in Tasmania.
On successful completion of the full course, students will attain:
- an AVI50519 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) – a nationally recognised qualification issued by Par Avion Flight Training as Registered Training Organisation (provider number 40601); and
- an Instrument Rating 1 issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)
- an Multi-Engine Aircraft Class Rating (MEACR) 1 issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)
The Diploma course is comprised of 13 core units and 1 elective unit. The units cover all relevant competencies, knowledge and skills and correlate with requirements for the CASA Instrument Rating. See training.gov.au for further information on the units.
The course is a blend of theoretical, practical and self-directed learning; together with integrated assessment. The timetable is carefully designed to assist students to progress through the learning and assessment requirements in an achievable and meaningful way.
Theory training is provided in face-to-face classes and supported with self-directed learning through the use of self-paced study guides, individual/small-group mentoring and coaching, flight briefings and multimedia resources. We recommend students allow for approximately 100 hours of self-directed learning.
Assessment throughout the course is undertaken through:
- various observations, competency checks and quizzes
- the CASA Instrument Rating Exam (IREX) on completion of the theory training
- a flight test to achieve the Instrument Rating on completion of the flight training. requirements.
This course is offered as a full-time intensive over 13 full-time equivalent weeks (not including public holidays):
- study weeks are Monday to Friday (5 days per week)
- hours are generally 8:45 am to 4:30 pm each day
- study is not scheduled on public holidays
- some study (including flight lessons) may be scheduled on public holidays, weekends or after-hours with individual students. This is used as catch-up time if required and is negotiated with each student in advance.
The course is divided into three study periods, with no breaks between the study periods.
What is included
- Flight training including up to:
- 27 Hours – Duchess BE76 3
- 20 Hours – simulator 3
- Pre and post-flight briefings
- Landing fees
- Theory classes and study materials
- CASA license and testing fees 3
- Learning and welfare support services
- Welcome, pickup and settling-in service on arrival
- Daily transport to/from accommodation
TUITION FEES (2019) $27,390.00 3,4 – covers all of the inclusions (above). Applies to 2019 intakes only. Goods and Services Tax (GST) does not apply to this course.
NON-TUITION FEES $ Nil
OTHER EXTERNAL FEES $590.00 3 (approximate) payable separately to external providers, covers: theory exam fee (x1), AirServices Australia publications and charts, IREX study guide.
OPTIONAL EXTRAS – headset $360, pilot uniform set $350
Find out more about our payment options for overseas students
The next intakes for this course are listed below. You can apply for an intake at any time up to 28 days before the start date, but we recommend you apply as early as possible. It can take up to 8 weeks to obtain a Student Visa and this is essential to enter Australia and start the course.
- 2020.1 | starts 24/02/2020 | places available
- 2020.2 | starts 25/05/2020 | places available
- 2020.3 | starts 31/08/2020 | places available
- 2020.4 | starts 30/11/2020 | places available
Course entry requirements
- Minimum of 18 years of age prior to arriving in Australia to commence your studies
- Pass the Class 1 Aviation Medical Examination (in your own country)
- Obtain an Australian Aviation Reference Number (ARN)
- Obtain an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC)
- Successful completion of an aptitude test and pre-enrolment interview with us (conducted online or in your home country).
- English language proficiency, demonstrated through either:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5.5 or higher; OR
- having attended secondary school where the education was conducted in English.
There are no formal education prerequisites for the Diploma, however an education background of English, Mathematics and Physics to Year 12 level is recommended.
Accommodation options and transport
We have affordable accommodation for students near our location. We provide a daily transfer bus service to/from your accommodation and our training facility.
We provide an arrival and departure pickup and transfer service to/from Hobart Airport. We can provide personal assistance on your first day in Tasmania to help you settle in to your accommodation and the local area. There are no extra fees for these services.
Take the next step
You can begin your application for this course today. It’s quick, easy and our online system will guide you through the steps.
If you’re not ready to apply yet, register your interest with us online. We’ll provide you with further information and updates on the course.
You’re also welcome to contact us – we are happy to answer your questions and provide further information about the Diploma and other training options.
1 Licences, ratings and endorsements are issued separately to this Diploma by CASA. They are nationally (and internationally) recognised under Australian aviation legislation and regulations. CASA licences, ratings and endorsements are not branded or issued as ‘nationally recognised qualifications’ under the Vocational Education and Training system.
2 Attainment of the Diploma and issuance of the CPL certify that you have all the necessary competencies to seek employment as a commercial pilot. The Diploma and the CPL do not guarantee employment.
3 Fees are based on average requirements for attainment. Fees are the minimum to attain the qualification and cannot be reduced, refunded or transferred in any way at the completion of the course. Where a student requires additional flying time, or more that one attempt at a theory test to achieve the required standard, additional fees will apply. Fees are subject to change.
4 Fees shown on this page are valid for the current calendar year only – or as specified. Fees are reviewed annually and posted to this page by December for the following year. Fees shown in our application system for future years are provisional and may vary from fees shown on this page.