Credit and recognition for overseas students

Version 1.2 | 20/03/2024

This information applies to overseas students on a Student Visa.

Recognition-of-prior-learning (RPL) and credit-transfer are available to overseas students on a Student Visa only as follows.

An overseas students seeking to apply for RPL and/or credit-transfer must initiate this process separately with us as soon as possible after their application has been accepted, and before they sign a Student Agreement. To initiate the process, please email us at 

AVI50222 Diploma of Aviation – Commercial Pilot Licence (Aeroplane)

We do not offer course credit to overseas students undertaking this course. This is due to the complexity and cost of converting licences and/or prior study from other countries to comply with Australian aviation licensing and standards, which generally outweighs the benefits of undertaking the course in full. Therefore, students must complete the entire course including all learning and assessment. This ensures that all students who successfully complete the course attain a consistent level of knowledge and skills to the required Australian standards.

Students who have completed some prior study or aviation training in another country may progress through some parts of the course more rapidly than normally expected. This will benefit the student in maintaining their required level of progress and completing the course within time limits. Our enrolment and induction process, and one-to-one learning and assessment with our instructors, supports this personalised approach to learning and progression.

AVI50519 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating)

Overseas students who wish to apply for course must have a current Private Pilot Licence (PPL) or a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL). This is an application requirement for this course.

Students who have an existing licence from another country may (subject to our approval) undertake this diploma course and at the same time convert their existing overseas licence to an Australian licence. The student may need to pass some required theory exam/s and a flight test while they are undertaking this course with us. We can arrange for the exam/s and the flight test to be integrated into a student’s study program. Please note this will incur some further costs for the student that are additional to the standard cost of the diploma course.

CASA provides information on converting an overseas licence to an Australian licence.