Diploma Of Aviation – Flight Instructor
Diploma of Aviation - Flight Instructor
Build your career
Teaching people to fly is a rewarding vocation and career move for any new or experienced commercial pilot. If you enjoy helping others to and seeing others learn, this may well be the course for you.
Take your career as a commercial pilot further with nationally recognised flight instructor qualifications.
Industry demand for flight instructors is very strong at present and this trend is likely to continue for years to come. There is excellent scope to rapidly build a successful career as a flight instructor, with opportunities to advance through other grades and add training and examiner endorsements as your experience builds.
Many of our graduates find employment as flight instructors soon after finishing the course, including some who are offered positions in our company 1. Other flight schools across Australia readily take our graduates and we actively refer new graduates to them 1.
Train with the best
This course blends together our substantial industry experience in the aviation and education fields and provides you with the qualifications, knowledge and skills to become a skilled and confident flight instructor, trainer and assessor.
We pride ourselves on the depth and quality of our team of flight instructors who are all industry-experienced pilots and Grade-1 instructors. They have a passion for aviation and teaching. You will learn from their extensive knowledge and skill-base, and draw from their passion and enthusiasm for the job.
We have trained and developed all the instructors who teach on this course in-house. This means we can confidently present ourselves as a centre of excellence in flight instructor training.
If you want to go beyond basic competence and put yourself ahead of the pack, you have come to the right place.
Unique educational benefits
We have designed the vocational training and assessment parts of the course to fully cover the units of another related education qualification – the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. This means you will attain an equivalent level of competence with this highly valued industry qualification.
You may then seek recognition of the TAE40116 qualification with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) which has this qualification on their scope (subject to their procedures). We have an agreement with another RTO which can facilitate this pathway for you.
This is a significant benefit of undertaking your flight instructor training with us, should you wish to take this further path.
The course provides a commercial pilot with the further skills, knowledge, competence and qualifications to train students as a Grade 3 flight instructor. Graduates can seek employment with flying schools, aero clubs and aviation education institutions 1.
On successful completion of the full course, students will attain:
- an AVI50419 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor) – a nationally recognised qualification issued by Par Avion Flight Training as Registered Training Organisation (provider number 40601); and
- a CASA Flight Instructor Rating with Grade 3 Aeroplane endorsement 2.
- a design feature training endorsement for manual-propeller-pitch-control
The TAE40116 Cert. IV Training and Assessment qualification is also attainable immediately after you have completed the diploma – see ‘Further pathways’ for more information. TAE40116 is a nationally recognised teaching qualification across the vocational education sector .
The AVI50419 course provides the skills you need to effectively teach, assess and support students in the vocational sector, with a primary emphasis on student pilots. It combines contemporary learning in the education field with the best in aviation training. The course is comprised of 17 units of competency (12 core, and 5 elective):
- AVIM0003 Conduct aeronautical knowledge training and flight training
- AVIM0004 Conduct training for the issue of an endorsement
- AVIM0005 Facilitate non-technical skills instruction
- TAEASS401 Plan assessment activities and processes
- TAEASS402 Assess competence
- TAEASS403 Participate in assessment validation
- TAEASS502 Design and develop assessment tools
- TAEDEL401 Plan, organise and deliver group-based learning
- TAEDEL402 Plan, organise and facilitate learning in the workplace
- TAEDES401 Design and develop learning programs
- TAEDES402 Use training packages and accredited courses to meet client needs
- TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills
- AVIF0026 Implement aviation risk management processes (elective)
- AVIF0027 Implement aviation fatigue risk management processes (elective)
- AVIM0008 Operate a simulator (elective)
- TAETAS401 Maintain training and assessment information (elective)
- TAEDEL301 Provide work skill instruction (elective)
The units cover all relevant competencies, knowledge and skills for:
- the CASA Flight Instructor Rating with Grade 3 endorsement; and
- training and assessment to industry standards in the vocational education sector.
The course is a blend of theoretical, practical and self-guided learning, together with assessment. The timetable is carefully designed to assist students to progress through the learning and assessment requirements in an achievable and meaningful way.
We deliberately keep our intakes for this course quite small—usually around 4-8 students at a time—to give each student significant individual attention and support. Our instructors take the time to understand the individual learning needs of students and assist with individualised instruction, support and flexibility to meet their learning needs and personal circumstances.
You will spend time in the classroom with other students and significant one-on-one time with your instructor – learning the craft of teaching and how to apply those skills effectively in aviation settings.
You will undertake dual training in the aircraft with our Grade 1 instructors, and you will spend time in the aircraft with fellow students (and/or Grade 3 instructors) — taking the role of student and instructor at different times. This provides ample time to practice and build your skills in an authentic and meaningful way. Your aeronautical knowledge will be greatly expanded and challenged as you learn to teach sequences from effects of controls to basic instrument flying, short field operations – through to advanced skills such as advanced stall recovery and spins.
A typical week of study generally involves:
- attending theory classes
- participating in dual flight training
- practicing in shared flight training practice with other students / instructors
- attending pre and post-flight briefings
- undertaking guided self-study and assessment preparation.
This course is offered as a full-time intensive over 20 full-time equivalent weeks (not including public holidays and scheduled breaks):
- study weeks are Monday to Friday (5 days per week)
- hours are generally 8:45 am to 4:30 pm each day
- classes and lessons are not scheduled on public holidays or in break weeks
- some one-to-one learning may be scheduled on public holidays, weekends, during break weeks or after-hours with individual students – if/as required. This is used as catch-up time and is negotiated with each student in advance
- further self-study outside these hours will be necessary.
- Flight Training including up to :
- 29.5 hours dual – Cessna 172
- 2 hours dual – Cessna 206
- 10 hours shared – Cessna 172
- Pre and post-flight briefings
- Landing fees
- Theory classes
- Use of student facilities and services
- Assessments, including the flight test 
- CASA fee for the Pilot Instructor Rating Exam – Common (PIRC) 
- CASA fee for the Flight Instructor rating and training endorsement 
TUITION FEES (2022) $33,500.00 [3,4] – covers all of the inclusions (see above). Applies to intakes in 2022 only.
OTHER EXTERNAL FEES – approximately $100.00  for a required textbook (payable separately to an external provider).
FEES FOR OPTIONAL EXTRAS – nil.
FEE REDUCTIONS – for credit and recognition of prior learning – see the ‘Credit and recognition’ section below.
- It is assumed you already own the pilot gear, publications and uniform expected of a current commercial pilot; and you must bring these to the course.
- You will be required to access websites and web resources regularly during classes. You must bring your own tablet-PC, notebook-PC or laptop-PC to all classes (a smartphone is not sufficient).
GST does not generally apply to this course and is included only where applicable.
The next intakes for this course are listed below. You can apply for an intake up to 28 days before the start date, but we recommend you apply as early as possible. There are limitations on how many students we accept per intake.
To apply for this course you must:
- be at least 18 years of age by the date you intend to complete the course;
- have the academic ability to undertake the course, evidenced by ONE OF the following:
- a Year 12 / senior-secondary school certificate;
- OR an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English);
- OR you are prepared to demonstrate your competence in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test which we provide for you*; and
- have a valid Unique Student Identifier issued by the Australian Government; and
- meet the CASA licensing requirements by having:
- at least 200 hours flight time as pilot and 100 hours flight time as pilot in command (in aeroplanes);
- OR a Commercial Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) which was attained in an integrated (150 hour) course – such as our AVI50215 or CPL-I course.
If your application has been accepted, we will ask you to participate in entry selection activities. The activities will require approximately 3 hours of your time. We use information from the activities to assess your suitability for the course. This stage must be completed as early as possible before the start date for your selected course-intake.
This stage may include a Language, Literacy and Numeracy test, but only if you require this test to meet the academic entry requirement (see ‘Application requirements’ above for guidance).
If you successfully proceed though entry selection, we will send you a Letter of Offer and a Student Agreement, which includes your conditions of enrolment. You can become fully enrolled and commence this course once all of these conditions have been met. The standard conditions of enrolment are that you:
- have an Aviation Reference Number (ARN)
- have a current Class 1 Aviation Medical
- meet the eligibility criteria for your selected method of payment (including VET Student Loans, if applicable).
As a Registered Training Organisation we can assess students for RPL and for recognition and credit transfer of units from other nationally recognised training. RPL can be used to gain credit for parts of the AVI50419 qualification and/or units within the qualification. This may provide a reduction in course load/duration and course fees.
An application and assessment process must be followed and fees apply – see the Student Handbook.
You can indicate your intention to apply for credit and recognition for this qualification when you apply for the course.
DEFINED ENTRY POINTS
CASA FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR RATING WITH GRADE-3 ENDORSEMENT:
- course duration reduces by approximately 6 weeks
- total tuition fees reduce by approximately (up to) $17,945.00 
- note: Instructor Rating must be current
DIPLOMA OF AVIATION – COMMERCIAL PILOT LICENCE (AEROPLANE) QUALIFICATION:
- course duration reduces by approximately 1 week
- total tuition fees reduce by approximately (up to) $780.00 
TAE40110 CERT.IV IN TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT QUALIFICATION:
- course duration reduces by approximately 4 weeks
- total tuition fees reduce by approximately (up to) $3235.00 
TAE40116 CERT.IV IN TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT QUALIFICATION:
- course duration reduces by approximately 5 weeks
- total tuition fees reduce by approximately (up to) $4040.00 
The following pathways are available with us following completion of the Diploma:
- Flight instructor training endorsements, such as: Grade 1, Grade 2, multi-engine rating, instrument rating (and others).
- Attainment of the TAE40116 Cert. IV Training and Assessment qualification by national recognition. All units in TAE40116 are also in this diploma course, which means once you complete the diploma, you can then attain TAE40116 from an RTO that has this qualification on scope (subject to the RTOs credit-and-recognition processes).
1 Attainment of the Diploma and issuance of the rating certify that you have all the necessary competencies to seek employment as a Grade 3 Flight Instructor. The Diploma and the rating do not guarantee employment.
2 Licences, ratings and endorsements are issued separately to this Diploma by CASA. They are nationally (and internationally) recognised under Australian aviation legislation and regulations. CASA licences, ratings and endorsements are not branded or issued as ‘nationally recognised qualifications’ under the Vocational Education and Training system.
3 Fees are based on average requirements for attainment. Fees are the minimum to attain the qualification and cannot be reduced, refunded or transferred in any way at the completion of the course. Where a student requires additional flying time, or more that one attempt at an assessment to achieve the required standard, additional fees will apply. Fees are subject to change.
4 Fees shown on this page are valid for the current calendar year only – or as specified. Fees are reviewed annually and posted to this page by December for the following year. Fees shown in our application system for future years are provisional and may vary from fees shown on this page.
5 RPL processing and assessment fees are included in the estimated fee reductions shown. Actual fee reduction is dependent on the units attained by the applicant in the prior qualification.
6. VET Student Loans are available to approved domestic students who meet eligibility requirements. Approved provider: Airlines of Tasmania Pty Ltd, trading as Par Avion Flight Training, RTO 40601
Why study here?
Find out why Par Avion Flight Training is recognised as a premium flight school and the unique benefits we offer.
Take the next step
… it’s quick, easy and our online system will guide you through the steps.
Please contact us if you have any questions.
If you’re not ready to apply, register your interest for email updates on our courses.