Student Visas and conditions

Version 1.3 | 20/03/2024

This information applies to overseas students on a Student Visa.

A Student Visa is essential for an overseas student to enter and stay in Australia to study our approved Diploma Courses.

Make sure that you can meet the requirements for a Student Visa before you accept an offer from us and pay any tuition fees.

Steps to apply for a Student Visa
  1. You must first receive a Letter of Offer and Student Agreement from us – this is part of our application process.
  2. If you decide to accept our Offer, you must sign the Student Agreement and return it to us.
  3. We will send you an invoice for your first payment. This must be fully paid to us before further steps (below) can proceed.
  4. We will send you an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) by email.
  5. You apply for your Student Visa through the Australian Department of Home Affairs. You must have your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) before you commence your visa application.

These steps (above) can take a number of weeks or months to fully complete. It is important that you commence the process as soon as possible to ensure you can enter Australia with your Student Visa in time for the commencement of your course.

Overseas Student Health insurance

Overseas Student Health Cover is essential for Student Visa holders.

Course progress policy

Maintaining course Progress is essential for Student Visa holders.

Completion of your course within the expected course-duration

Students must complete their course within the duration specified in their eCoE. However, we may extend the duration of the student’s study where it is clear that the student will not complete the course within the expected duration as the result of:

  • compassionate or compelling circumstances (see below), or
  • we have implemented an intervention strategy where the student was at risk of not meeting satisfactory course progress, or
  • a deferral of study has been approved.
Compassionate and compelling circumstances

Compassionate or compelling circumstances are generally those beyond the control of the student, and which have an impact upon the student’s course progress or well-being. These include, but are not limited to:

  • serious illness or injury, where a medical certificate states that the student was unable to attend classes
  • bereavement of close family members such as parents or grandparents
  • major political upheaval or natural disaster in the home country requiring emergency travel when this has impacted on the student’s studies
  • if the student has not passed occasional assessments throughout the course, but this is not due to a lack of genuine effort on their part, or where an intervention strategy for course progress is in place and is being followed by the student in good faith; or
  • a traumatic experience which include:
    • involvement in, or witnessing of a serious accident
    • witnessing or being the victim of a serious crime.
Extending your visa

A student visa is a temporary visa that allows you to come to Australia for a specified period of time to study at an Australian educational institution such as ours. It is important to be aware of the expiry date of your student visa as you must either depart Australia before it expires, or lodge a new visa application. Contact Department of Home Affairs.

Working in Australia while studying

If you are interested in working while you are studying, please refer to Work in Australia information.

Notifying change of address

It is vital you inform us of changes to your address while you are a student here.